Wallerawang, or Wang as it is commonly referred to by locals, is located approximately 14 km north-west of Lithgow. According to the 2001 ABS census, the population was 1 935 people.
The landscape of Wallerawang is dominated by the Power Stations and the dams that have been built in the area to provide water to them.
History of Wallerawang
In 1824 James Walker was granted a large tract of land that was called "Waller-owang" by the local aboriginal people. Charles Darwin stayed at "Wallerowang House" (later to become Barton Park) in 1836, and in the book "Voyage of the Beagle" he describes the area at the time and the wildlife that included a number of platypus.
In 1860 the first school opened. It is located opposite the Power Station on Main Street. In 1882 the school relocated closer to the township. It remained in this location until 1995 when it relocated to the new school site adjacent to Lake Wallace.
The railway line first arrived in Wallerawang in 1871 and railway activities have played an important role in the development of the town.
In 1951 the Electricity Commission began construction of the first Power Station in Wallerawang, and in 1957 they began producing power. Construction on Lake Wallace, that would supply the station with water, did not commence until 1978.