The village of Rydal is located 15 minutes from Lithgow and 45 minutes east of Bathurst. It is set in a lovely little valley with rural, farmland countryside. Rydal has a population of about eighty. More people live on surrounding farm properties. There is a hotel and two churches, but no shops. The nearest shops are at Wallerawang about ten minutes drive away. In recent years, the community have banded together and planted thousands of daffodils and now celebrate the annual "Daffodils at Rydal" festival.
History of Rydal
Rydal was on the road built by Major Thomas Mitchell between Mount Victoria and Bathurst in the 1830s. The village was given the name Rydal in 1843 by Governor George Gipps in honour of the poet William Wordsworth who lived in the Village of Rydal in England.
On 1 July 1871 the first steam train arrived in Rydal and for a while it was the terminus of the Western Line. People traveling to the west came by train from Sydney to Rydal and then by Cobb and Co coach to towns like Bathurst, Orange, Wellington and Forbes. The gold and farm produce of western NSW was loaded on the train for Sydney. Rydal then had eight hotels, five blacksmiths and five stores and was probably the busiest railway station in the State after Central.