Motor Cycle Rides
Lithgow Motorcycle Touring Guide
To assist riders get the most from a visit to our area, Lithgow City Council developed the Lithgow Motor Cycle Touring Guide.
The guide provides riders with details on great rides in the region and safety information as well. The guide can be downloaded from here as a pdf or you can contact the Visitor Information Centre to get a small A5 printed copy.
Lake Lyell, Tarana, Oberon, Jenolan Caves, Hampton, Hartley loop Half Day ride – 150km
Roads: Short section of highway, good secondary and narrow winding roads.
- Hazards: Ice and moss may be on roads in cold weather.
Slow moving farm vehicles
- Tourist coaches on Jenolan Caves Road
- Jenolan Caves Road is closed to traffic leaving Jenolan Caves towards Hampton between 11.45am and 1.15pm
Scenery: Spectacular views riding into Jenolan Caves, Lake Lyell, rural and natural bushland
Explore: Oberon, Jenolan Caves, Hartley Historic Site, Blast Furnace Park in Lithgow Duration: Recommended day trip although can be condensed to half day.
Food: Restaurants, pubs and cafés are located in Lithgow, Jenolan Caves and Oberon. Pubs are located in Tarana and Hampton and Cafes in Hartley.
Fuel: Lithgow and Oberon
Information: Visitor Information Centre’s are located at Lithgow and Oberon.
Rydal, Tarana, Bathurst, Oberon, O’Connell, Tarana, Sunny Corner, Portland, Wallerawang loop Half to Full Day ride – 260km
Roads: Short sections of highway, good secondary and very narrow winding roads.
- Passes through State Forests, watch for logging trucks.
- Narrow roads with no lane marking.
- Slow moving farm vehicles
- Narrow windy roads with narrow single lane bridges
- A number of floodway crossings with possible water covering road on Diamond Swamp Road between Tarana and Great Western Highway
- Railway crossings and narrow timber bridges between Tarana and Brewongle
Scenery: Rolling farmland, pine forests, rivers in the distance and spectacular views along the ridges.
Explore: Mount Panorama racetrack, villages of Rydal, Wallerawang and Portland visit Oberon Dam.
Duration: Recommended half or full day trip.
Food: Restaurants, pubs and cafés located in Lithgow, Bathurst, Oberon, Wallerawang and Portland.
Fuel: Lithgow, Bathurst, Oberon, Portland and Wallerawang
Information: Visitor Information Centre’s are located at Lithgow, Oberon, Bathurst and Wallerawang.
Hartley, Mount Victoria, Blackheath, Megalong Valley loop Half Day ride – 83km
Roads: Sections of highway, good secondary and very narrow winding roads.
- Narrow windy road into Megalong Valley with potential moss on road with no lane marking.
- Possible moss and ice on road going into Megalong Valley
- Narrow roads with no lane marking
- Slow moving farm vehicles
Scenery: Spectacular scenery along Bells Line of Road and Darling Causeway. Subtropical rainforest as you descend into Megalong Valley.
Explore: Villages at Mount Victoria, Megalong Valley, Hartley and Blackheath.
Duration: Recommended half day trip.
Food: Restaurants, pubs and cafés located in Lithgow, Mount Victoria, Blackheath. Tea Rooms in Megalong Valley. Cafés at Dargan and Hartley.
Fuel: Lithgow, Blackheath, Mount Victoria
Information: Visitor Information Centre’s are located at Lithgow and Blackheath.